IT'S MORE TO US, IT'S PERSONAL
Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Dothan: Legal Help for Injured Riders
Despite being one of the greatest and most exhilarating hobbies a person can take up, motorcycle riding poses some significant dangers to riders. Motorcyclists must always be aware of their surroundings as they are much smaller than conventional automobiles, and may be more difficult for other drivers to see in time to avoid a collision. Additionally, motorcycles lack modern safety features that are common on cars and trucks—namely seat belts, air bags, and surrounding walls. Due to this, the injuries that a motorcyclist may incur as the result of the negligent actions of other drivers can be incredibly severe, to say the least.
If you or someone close to you has been the victim of a motorcycle accident, seek the service of the experienced Alabama motorcycle accident lawyers at the law office of Wettermark Keith today. With more than 30 years of combined litigation experience, our dedicated attorneys have the resources and skills needed to build you an effective case.
Data collected by the Alabama Department of Transportation helps illustrate the frequency and nature of motorcycle accidents across the state. This data can help show riders and drivers, alike, the dangers that motorcyclists face on the streets each and every day. Reports indicate that for the 2017 calendar year, 1,918 motorcycle accidents occurred in Alabama. In these motorcycle accidents, 1,222 victims suffered personal injuries while 79 tragically lost their lives.
Injuries that our firm has helped clients recover substantial financial compensation for in the past as a result of a motorcycle accident have included:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Head Injuries
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Fractured Bones
- Extensive Cuts and Bruises (often labeled “Road Rash”)
- Wrongful Death
- No matter what injuries you or a loved one sustained in a Dothan motorcycle accident, find out if we can help you recover. Our motorcycle accident lawyers can investigate your crash, help you document your injuries, and take care of legal matters while you concentrate on recuperating.
Lack of Safety Features on Motorcycles
Due to the lack of safety features on motorcycles, riders typically incur vastly more serious injuries than passengers in a typical automobile. Additionally, motorcycles themselves are significantly smaller than cars and are generally pushed or thrown off the road or worse—into oncoming traffic when struck by larger vehicles. Contact our law office today if you have been injured or lost someone close to you in a motorcycle collision; extensive compensation can be sought for your injuries.
Who Caused Your Motorcycle Accident?
One of the first steps you will have to take during your personal injury lawsuit or insurance claim is to identify the at-fault party. The person or entity that caused the motorcycle accident will be responsible for paying for your damages under Alabama’s fault-based insurance system. At Wettermark Keith, we have investigators who can revisit and reconstruct your motorcycle accident to help determine causation and fault. Different causes can include:
- Driver negligence
- Drunk driving
- Texting and driving
- Driving while fatigued
- Failing to yield
- Unsafe left-hand turn
- Defective motorcycle parts
- Dangerous roads/road defects
- Bad weather
These are some of the most common causes of Dothan motorcycle accidents. But every case is unique. Our lawyers know how to individualize legal strategies for each client to obtain the best possible results. Starting with identifying the cause of the crash, we can guide you and your family through the justice system in pursuit of fair recovery. We can also discuss with you who might have caused your crash during a free evaluation today.
The full value of your motorcycle accident claim can depend on many different factors. When you partner with an attorney for help with your case, you improve your odds of obtaining maximum compensation. Our lawyers can help you combat common defenses that could get in the way of your recovery, such as contributory negligence. We can use proven strategies to increase your recovery. We can go up against any defendant on your behalf.
Motorcycle Safety Tips:
Motorcycle Safety Tips: Riding a motorcycle can be thrilling, but it's crucial to prioritize safety. Here are some essential safety tips for motorcyclists:
- Wear Protective Gear: Always wear a DOT-approved helmet, protective clothing, gloves, and sturdy boots to minimize injury in case of an accident.
- Defensive Riding: Practice defensive riding techniques, which include staying alert, anticipating the actions of other drivers, and maintaining a safe following distance.
- Regular Maintenance: Keep your motorcycle well-maintained, including brakes, tires, lights, and signals. Regular maintenance helps prevent accidents caused by mechanical failures.
- Weather Awareness: Avoid riding in adverse weather conditions such as rain, fog, or snow, as reduced visibility and slippery roads increase the risk of accidents.
- Avoid Distractions: Stay focused on the road, avoid distractions like using a phone, and never ride under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
Motorcycle Accident Prevention:
Motorcycle Accident Prevention: Minimize the risk of motorcycle accidents by following these preventive measures:
- Maintenance Routine: Establish a regular maintenance routine to ensure your motorcycle is in top condition, reducing the likelihood of mechanical failures.
- Weather Considerations: Check weather forecasts before riding and avoid adverse weather conditions. Slippery roads and reduced visibility can lead to accidents.
- Rider Training: Enroll in rider training courses to enhance your riding skills, including defensive maneuvers and accident avoidance techniques.
- Visibility Enhancement: Increase your visibility to other drivers by using reflective gear, bright-colored clothing, and keeping your headlights on during the day.
- Defensive Riding Courses: Consider taking defensive riding courses that teach advanced skills and strategies to anticipate and respond to potential hazards.
Comparative Fault in Motorcycle Accidents:
Comparative Fault in Motorcycle Accidents: In Alabama, the comparative fault system may affect compensation for motorcycle accident victims. Here's what you need to know:
- Shared Fault: Alabama follows a "contributory negligence" rule, meaning if you are found partially at fault for the accident, your compensation may be reduced or even denied.
- Evidence Gathering: To minimize liability, gather evidence at the accident scene, including photos, witness statements, and a police report, if available.
- Legal Representation: Consult with an experienced motorcycle accident attorney who can help you navigate the legal complexities and protect your rights.
- Negotiation Strategies: Your attorney can employ negotiation strategies to demonstrate that the other party's negligence played a more significant role in the accident.
Motorcycle Insurance Requirements:
Motorcycle Insurance Requirements: Understanding Alabama's motorcycle insurance requirements is essential for riders:
- Minimum Liability Coverage: Alabama law mandates minimum liability coverage, which includes $25,000 for bodily injury or death per person, $50,000 for bodily injury or death per accident, and $25,000 for property damage.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Coverage: Consider adding uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage to protect yourself in case you are involved in an accident with a driver who lacks adequate insurance.
Are You Eligible for Compensation?
A serious motorcycle accident could completely disrupt your life. You could sustain permanent injuries, scarring, or disfigurement. You might have also totaled your motorcycle. If you did not cause your motorcycle accident, you should not have to pay. At least, that’s what we believe at Wettermark Keith. Our lawyers can help you fight for fair financial recovery from the party that did cause your accident, using aggressive legal tactics. Recovery can include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Disability costs
- Lost quality of life
- Lost wages
- Motorcycle repairs or replacement
- Pain and suffering
- Punitive damages
Why Injured Motorcyclists Choose Us
- We stand with motorcyclists in Alabama. Our attorneys protect motorcyclists’ rights by demanding justice for individuals and fighting for changes on an institutional level to improve motorcyclist safety.
- We have proven our capabilities in and out of the courtroom. Our lawyers have obtained more than $800 million on behalf of injured clients. We aren’t afraid to go to trial against defendants if we believe it is in our clients’ best interests.
- We represent Dothan motorcycle accident victims for no legal fees unless we win. We operate on a contingency fee basis, meaning you won’t pay out of pocket for our services, win or lose. We take full financial risk for your claim.
Why You Need an Attorney
It can be difficult to protect your rights during insurance negotiations after a motorcycle accident. Insurers often have biases against motorcyclists and may try many tactics to avoid payouts. They may use the contributory negligence defense, for example, to attempt to bar you from recovery. It can be crucial to hire a lawyer to speak for your interests during claim negotiations after a collision. Otherwise, the insurance company might mishandle your claim or convince you to settle for less than you need. A lawyer can argue against bad faith tactics and help you demand just compensation for your economic and non-economic losses—all while you focus on recovery.
Serving Justice, One Case at a Time
Here at Wettermark Keith, no case is too big, nor too small, for our expert motorcycle injury lawyers to pursue. Our top Alabama injury attorneys represent each and every client with the utmost respect, compassion, and employ the thorough legal expertise needed to make their case a success. We realize that this is likely a difficult situation for you and possibly your family and are here for you.
If you have been injured or lost a loved one due to the negligence of another person in a motorcycle accident, contact our top injury lawyers today. Together, we can seek a financial compensation figure that meets your needs as a victim and can continue to provide for you, long after this ordeal is over.
No Recovery, No Fee Guarantee
When selecting clients to represent in court, our firm operates on a contingency fee basis. What this means to our clients is simple: if we don’t win your case, you won’t pay anything. We choose to operate this way for the sole benefit of our clients; we want to see you obtain a successful recovery so that you can continue to carry on with your life.
Contact us today if you have been the victim of a personal injury or lost a loved one to a wrongful death after a motorcycle accident. Fill out the free case evaluation form on our website and we will get back to you promptly. If you wish to speak to us directly, feel free to call the location closest to you.