Justice one case at a time
IT'S MORE TO US, IT'S PERSONAL
Truck Accident Lawyer in Panama City
Truck accidents in Panama City happen more often than you think, and the injuries they cause are devastating. For events that cause so much pain, you’d think it’d be easy for a victim of a truck accident to get the financial compensation they need, but the reality is that many people end up accepting a low sum offered by the insurance companies.
Unless you hire a truck accident lawyer in Panama City, you’re likely to be taken advantage of by the insurance adjusters and given a low settlement that doesn’t cover your needs. Take your case seriously and hire a professional law firm like Wettermark Keith to take care of your trucking accident claim while you rest and heal.
Why Are Truck Accidents So Common?
Every year, large commercial trucks in Panama City cause serious, catastrophic, and fatal traffic accidents. Trucks may use the same roads as passenger cars, but they have two characteristics that make them more likely to be in an accident:
- They take longer to stop. At the same speed, trucks travel more than twice as far as a passenger car before drivers can bring them to a stop.
- They are considerably more difficult to maneuver. For the larger “big rigs,” this means that right turns actually start with the driver pulling wide to the left to get a better turning angle.
Imagine what this “drift left to turn right” maneuver looks like to the vehicle behind the truck and you can easily understand how it tends to cause truck accidents. In 2018, trucks weighing more than 10,000 pounds were involved in more than 30,000 traffic accidents in Florida. Of these accidents, 44 were fatal and hundreds of others caused serious injuries. Many of those injuries involved collisions with fully-loaded trucks traveling at considerable speed.
Complex Truck Accident Injury Cases
Navigating a truck accident claim will not look the same as a typical motor vehicle collision in Panama City. A collision involving a truck begs all the same questions that come up in every type of accident. These questions about truck accidents include:
- What was the speed of the vehicle involved?
- Were the drivers following the rules of the road as to stay in their own lane, signaling their intent to change lanes, keeping a safe distance between vehicles, etc.?
- Were any of the drivers drunk, under the influence of drugs, or just plain distracted?
How quickly and efficiently these questions get answered is tremendously important to victims too injured to work, walk, or simply live as they did before the accident. At Wettermark Keith, we have pursued these answers in many cases. We know where the answers are likely to be and, maybe even more importantly, how the people who caused your injuries are likely to dodge the questions.
What to Do After a Truck Accident in Panama City
Fast action is important if you wish to successfully secure financial relief after a car accident anywhere in Florida. Failing to take the proper steps right away to preserve evidence and protect your rights could make it more difficult to win your case. At Wettermark Keith, our truck accident lawyers are more than happy to discuss your case in detail as soon as you give us a call. We can walk you through all the steps you’ll need to take to recover.
- Go to the hospital. Never delay medical care. An insurance company will want to see that you went immediately to an emergency room to receive care for your injuries.
- Collect information. Document your crash by taking photos at the scene, getting the commercial truck number, and requesting a copy of your police report.
- Call a lawyer. Discuss things with a lawyer before calling an insurance company. A lawyer can let you know if you have a first-party or third-party claim on your hands.
- Report the crash to an insurance company. Call your insurer or that of the at-fault party to file a claim. Go through the claims process as required, but do not admit fault.
- Negotiate a fair outcome. Use a truck accident lawyer in Panama City to negotiate a fair compensatory award from the insurance company. If negotiations fail, your lawyer can take the defendant to trial.
It is of the utmost importance to preserve evidence such as the truck’s black box, electronic logging device, and the truck driver’s cell phone records. Once you call Wettermark Keith, we can put the wheels in motion to protect key evidence. Then, we can help you build a claim against the correct defendant, whether it’s the truck company, the city government, a third-party driver, or a combination of people. We’ll do whatever it takes to help you obtain fair compensation.
Most Common Truck Accident Injuries
One of our main goals at Wettermark Keith is to help victims with personal injuries move forward with their lives in the Florida Panhandle. We strive to accomplish this goal day in and day out by representing clients during complicated Panama City personal injury and automobile accident claims. Our years of experience in the field give us the ability to represent clients with all types of personal injuries, including those commonly present in truck accidents:
- Multiple bone fractures
- Crush injuries
- Traumatic amputations
- Soft-tissue injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head and brain injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Wrongful death
If you or a loved one has a catastrophic injury, you may have grounds to go up against the trucking company or another defendant in pursuit of maximum recovery. If you have minor injuries, you may only have the right to bring a no-fault claim with your own insurer in Panama City. Either way, you may be eligible to recover the costs of losses such as medical expenses, lost income, vehicle repairs, physical pain, and emotional suffering. At Wettermark Keith, we can review your case and help you discover your options.
What Compensation Is Available for My Truck Accident Injuries?
Many truck accident victims in Panama City think that their compensation is limited to whatever was hurt by the truck… either their health or the car they drive. However, there are a lot more options for compensation available than just these two, and not all of them come from the truck driver themselves.
Truck Injury Damages
When you submit a claim to an insurance provider, you can list out the damages you incurred to strengthen your case and make it clear what you need. In Florida, these damages can be physical and emotional, including:
|Medical Expenses||You are entitled to coverage of any medical procedures or treatments that you may have needed following the accident. This compensation will be paid even if you have health insurance.|
|Pain and Suffering||Trauma is more than physical. Stressful experiences like truck accidents leave a wound on your mental health.|
|Property Damage||Cars are expensive to repair or repurchase. The at-fault truck driver or the guilty party will have to pay for the cost this incurs.|
|Lost Wages||When you’re injured in an accident, you can’t work. As a result, you may have lost valuable earnings at work, including job benefits like a promotion or paid time off.|
|Wrongful Death||The families of victims of a fatal truck accident can seek justice through a wrongful death claim. Your family member means a lot to you, and their absence will mean a large emotional and financial burden.|
The types of compensation you can receive can extend past this list, depending on your circumstances. To know for sure, call a personal injury lawyer at Wettermark Keith.
Who Can Pay Compensation in a Truck Accident Case?
The at-fault party depends on what contributed to the accident. If the accident was caused by the driver’s own action or inaction, like distracted driving, the driver will be held liable. If the wreck was caused by a failure to check the weight of the load or another federal regulation, the fault is on the trucking company.
Liability can even be held on the government, parts manufacturers, mechanics, and more, depending on what happened. Tell a truck accident attorney at Wettermark Keith about your case, and they can help determine the guilty party.
Wettermark Keith: Truck Accident Lawyer in Panama City
When it comes to choosing a truck attorney to handle your case, don’t settle for just any lawyer. Choose a lawyer with experience, passion, and empathy for your case. Here are a few reasons you should consider Wettermark Keith:
- We efficiently and effectively represent clients in Panama City, FL going up against insurance companies properly to recover fair compensation.
- We’ve obtained more than $800 million on behalf of our clients in successful civil claims. We’re never afraid of taking claims to trial, when necessary.
- We have more than 50 years of experience representing clients in Florida, Tennessee, and Alabama.
- We don’t charge for our services in Panama City unless we obtain compensation for the client.
As you consider, sign up for a free consultation and case evaluation using the form below. With our attorney-client relationship, we can help you better understand your case and win the compensation you deserve.