Justice one case at a time
IT'S MORE TO US, IT'S PERSONAL
Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer in Chattanooga
Nursing home residents should feel safe, secure, and loved by their nursing home staff. Unfortunately, that is not always the case. Staff members at a care facility have easy access to their residents, leading to the possibility of harmful treatment. If an elderly loved one has been abused or neglected by nursing home employees, contact a law firm of nursing home abuse lawyers today.
Signs of Nursing Home Abuse or Neglect
While family members hope and trust that their loved ones will be properly cared for at a care facility, sometimes that trust is breached. If you notice changes to your elderly loved one, you should look for signs of abuse, which include:
- Damaged personal property, such as eyeglasses or walkers
- Untreated injuries for fractures, dislocations, or sprains
- Lab tests indicating medication overdoses
- Noticeable behavioral changes, such as withdrawal
- Overbearing caregiver - often reflected in family members not being allowed to be alone with a resident
Elder neglect is a similarly serious problem that nursing home residents could face. However, there are slightly different signs to look for in these cases. These signs include:
- Dehydration or malnutrition
- Unsanitary living conditions, including poor hygiene or soiled clothing or bedding
- Untreated health problems or wounds
- Unsafe conditions like falling hazards or lack of air conditioning or heat
- Inadequate or lack of bedding or clothing
If your loved one reports being abused or neglected, or reports any sign indicating as much, take it seriously and begin investigating. A Wettermark Keith elder abuse lawyer can help you with that process.
Other Types of Nursing Home Abuse
There are other types of less-noticeable abuse that are just as significant and occur just as often. Emotional abuse and financial abuse are not usually visible, but their impacts are of equal importance. Be aware of these signs of emotional abuse in your senior loved one:
- Abnormal behavior, such as withdrawal or depression, as well as extreme agitation
- Unusual activities, such as sucking or rocking, can be coping mechanisms to deal with mental abuse
- A strong dislike for a particular caregiver
Nursing homes can also take advantage of their residents' financial situations. Look out for these indicators of financial abuse:
- Missing money or valuables
- Change in a bank or financial institution
- Forged financial documents or signatures
- Unexplainable unpaid bills or large cash withdrawals
- Caregiver used resident’s card, accessed bank account, or was added to a will unexpectedly
As before, if any of these indicators are noticed, or if your loved one reports these, contact the Wettermark Keith personal injury lawyers in Chattanooga to start researching your case.
Steps to Take for Victims of Nursing Home Abuse or Neglect
Many steps can be taken to start to build a strong case towards receiving the compensation you or your loved one deserve. Investigating the claim or signs of neglect or abuse should be the first step your neglect attorney should take. That process starts with speaking to witnesses or former employees. Meanwhile, they will also research reports, legal records, medical records, and local, state, and federal laws on nursing home abuse and neglect. Depending on the outcome of those investigations, your legal team will negotiate with the nursing home or choose to file a lawsuit.
Wettermark Keith Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer in Chattanooga
Our law firm ensures that all of its clients are treated with respect and compassion. We realize that this may be a difficult situation for you, and we are here to help. Wettermark Keith operates on a contingency fee basis. If we do not win your case, you do not owe us anything. We take pride in honoring our clients and getting the justice they deserve.
Contact a nursing home abuse lawyer in Chattanooga today if you or your senior loved one have been abused or neglected by a nursing home. You will receive a free consultation upon your first inquiry.
- Filing a Personal Injury Claim Step-by-Step
- What a Chattanooga Personal Injury Lawyer Does, Explained
- How Do Wrongful Death Attorneys in Chattanooga Prove a Case?
- Doctor's Office 101: If You Are Injured or Disabled, You Are Not "Fine" and Not "Doing Well"
- One Way Nursing Homes Can Hurt Your Family - And Your Case Against Them