Side Bar Form

In a rush? Call us.

(877) 715-9300

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Trusted Veterans Disability Lawyer in Huntsville You Can Rely On

Disabled veterans of the United States military can apply for disability compensation paid to veterans suffering the residual effects from a time of active military service. For Alabama residents, the Alabama Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) handles all veterans' disability claims. These disabilities are considered to be service-connected, and while applications can be submitted independently, the chances of receiving the maximum amount of disability income improve with the help of a veterans' disability lawyer. If you are looking for assistance with your claim, consider contacting a veterans' disability lawyer in Huntsville, Alabama.

Veterans Disability Benefits Eligibility

For the United States military veterans that are injured or disabled, VA benefits are available for those with proof of both service and disability connected to military service. Here are some basic criteria for VA disability benefits, as outlined by the VA:

  • Service in any US military branch: Coast Guard, Marines, Army, Navy, Air Force
  • Veteran status: Discharge from active duty in any way other than dishonorable
  • Direct correlation between service and the current disability
  • Degree of disability
  • Service records and supporting statements

If your circumstances fit these criteria, consider reaching out to a disability lawyer in Huntsville, AL.

Types of Service-Connected Disability

As the name suggests, a service-connected disability is a disability or injury that can be directly correlated to military service, or a pre-existing condition that was made worse by military service. Examples of service-connected disabilities include, but are not limited to:

  • TBIs, or traumatic brain injuries
  • PTSD, or post-traumatic stress disorder
  • Toxic chemical exposure, including Agent Orange
  • Military Sexual Trauma
  • Concussions and Post-Concussion Syndrome
  • Bodily injuries
  • Mental disorders, including mood disorders, eating disorders, anxiety disorders, schizophrenia, or dementia

If you are experiencing any of these conditions, contact a Huntsville VA disability attorney today to get the disability compensation that you deserve.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between VA disability income and a VA pension?

A VA pension is needs-based and age-based income for a veteran that incurred a disability, illness, or injury outside of military service that renders the veteran unable to work. Like a “normal” pension, it is meant to be the main source of income for its recipient.

VA disability income, meanwhile, is not needs-based and is only eligible to those with a service-connected disability. It is not restricted to a particular period of service, but is paid out relative to the determined severity of the disability, injury, or illness, also known as a “disability rating”. Moreover, VA disability income is not considered income and is therefore considered tax-free, meaning that eligibility for other means of income such as Social Security Disability benefits is not affected.

I was rejected for VA disability income. How do I file an appeal?

Within one year of your VA disability income denial, a Notice of Disagreement must be filed to begin the appeals process. Once the VA issues a Statement of the Case, a substantive appeal must be filed, also known as a VA Form 9, to the Board of Veterans Appeals, and a hearing before a VA judge must be requested.

Since the appeals process can be difficult, it is strongly encouraged to bring a veterans disability lawyer onboard to ensure each level of the process is completed as thoroughly as possible and securing the disability compensation that you deserve.

Note that the appeals process is different from asking for an increased amount of income from the VA. If your condition has worsened and you believe you may be eligible for a higher disability rating, gather the necessary medical and treatment records of proof to ask the VA for a reevaluation.

Wettermark Keith Veterans Disability Lawyer in Huntsville

For disabled veterans in the Huntsville area, the Wettermark Keith law firm of disability lawyers are ready to work with the VA to help you get the repayment that you deserve for serving our country. You are welcome to receive a free consultation for your veterans' disability case and do not have to pay us anything unless we win your case. It would be our honor to help you.

Related Articles