Hazardous Roadway Accident Causes
Driving is the most used form of transportation in America. As drivers, we expect the roads and highways we must travel on to work, shop and play to be safe. Our State and City governments are required by law to maintain the quality of our roadways and provide safe streets and freeways. Unfortunately, many multi-vehicle and single-vehicle accident that takes place on state and local roads are the result of roadway design defects. Defective roadways cause between 15 and 20% of all vehicle accidents or approximately.
What is Considered a Hazardous Condition?
There are many different types of dangerous roadways that can lead to a serious injury or even fatal Alabama car accident. A few of the most common kinds of hazardous roadway conditions include:
- Dangerous curves – If a roadway is not designed properly or without enough consideration or care, it can result in a roadway with dangerous curves or blind intersections that are likely to surprise motorists and could result in an accident.
- Lack of guardrails – To protect motorists from driving into a ditch or other hazardous conditions, roadways should have guardrails or center dividers in place.
- Badly maintained roads – Roads that have uneven pavement and/or potholes can be extremely hazardous to motorists. In particular, motorcyclists are vulnerable to poorly maintained highways as these conditions can cause them to easily lose control of their bike.
- Poor visibility – Those in charge of designing a roadway must make sure that foliage does not block the visibility of street signs and traffic lights. Lack of proper lighting on a roadway can also cause a serious car, bicycle, and pedestrian accidents.
- Faulty designed intersections – A review of a street intersection’s history can help determine if a particular location is inherently dangerous to motorists and should be altered.
Single-vehicles account for a considerable percentage of auto accidents on our nation’s roadways each year. Although many of these may be attributed to driver error, DUI, or defective auto products such as brakes and transmissions, the other leading cause is hazardous roadways. Not every highway in America is safely designed and maintained, and without proper safeguards in place, the results can be catastrophic. If you have been injured on a hazardous roadway, it is essential that you retain a top auto accident attorney at Wettermark & Keith, to help you recover the expenses you have incurred.
Who is Liable for Hazardous Road Conditions
Holding the appropriate parties liable for accidents such as these is paramount if you want to achieve justice. Just because no other motorist was involved doesn’t mean you cannot bring a suit against the designers and maintainers of public roadways. In extreme cases, hazardous roadways can even lead to wrongful death, further justifying the need for an aggressive lawsuit. If you or a loved one have been injured as a result of unsafe road conditions or design, contact the law offices of Wettermark & Keith today for a free case evaluation.
Sadly, a great number of car accidents do in fact end fatally. Due to this, if you have lost a loved one, it is vital that you contact our expert wrongful death auto accident attorneys as soon as possible. In many cases, a successful claim of wrongful death against the responsible party is the only way to recover financially from this type of accident.
Contact us today if you have been the victim of a personal injury or lost a loved one to wrongful death because of a hazardous roadway. Fill out the free case evaluation form on our web site and we will get back to you promptly. If you wish to speak to us directly, call us at 877-715-9300.
Remember, it is only through extensive professional litigation that a successful claim of personal injury or wrongful death can be made to come to fruition. This is precisely how our top accident lawyers operate for every client, every day. We work hard to serve justice to those injured, one case at a time.